Too often people design for the “worst case” being mitigated by “physical security”. Security controls, admonitions and warnings get lost with change or time. War texting is scary enough for most people: How many people buying “smart cars” knew a real risk existed that could allow someone to control elements of their vehicle?
Well, SCADA systems risks are seriously not given enough thought. Imagine what would happen if your favorite manufacturers, food processing plants, prisons, and water treatment plants were manipulated, secrets stolen and were the source of complex distributed attacks? Think of the risk to life alone and not even all the loss of money…
Thankfully people like Dillon Beresford are out there to help! Sometimes simple public awareness is enough to drive industry to better practices. Our Department of Homeland Security I’m sure has its hands full scoring risks with disclosures such as Mr Beresford’s.
Of course, there are firms that can be valuable to mitigate or, when possible, eliminate such risks. If you work for a company with control systems, contact your IT department and encourage them to reach out to their trusted experts or authorities. There are things that can be done even with system components that may not be patchable.
When did I butcher my code block element so badly (as in this)? Many of my drafts will look horrible if I publish them… better fix or schedule the migration away from WP… *shiver*
“while the BP world energy report confirmed that Germany made one of the world’s biggest cuts in nuclear energy last year, with use falling 16 per cent on 2006 levels, it also revealed that oil and gas use was slashed too.” (Read the full article here at expressindia.com.)
Considering Germany’s role as a major (lightly-militarized) world power, it’s especially thrilling to see such radical reduction in energy consumption. For a country that has gone through major upheaval so much (e.g., reincorporation of West Germany) it shows a serious commitment not only to the German people and immediate partners but to the global community. Cheers!
Now I hope it doesn’t affect their wonderful beers’ production levels… That would be a shame and call to question the whole “green” thing for me.
Compare and contrast the Federal and one state’s Oath sworn upon assumption of office. Interesting for many reasons: I find especially humorous no mention in the federal oath of abiding by the federal statutes nor even those of any U.S. commonwealth or state in which the attorney resides or practices.
Federal Oath of Attorney:
I (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
Washington State’s Oath of Attorney:
I do solemnly declare:
- I am fully subject to the laws of the State of Washington and the laws of the United States and will abide by the same.
- I will support the constitution of the State of Washington and the constitution of the United States.
- I will abide by the Rules of Professional Conduct approved by the Supreme Court of the State of Washington.
- I will maintain the respect due to the courts of justice and judicial officers.
- I will not counsel, or maintain any suit, or proceeding, which shall appear to me to be unjust, or any defense except as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law, unless it is in defense of a person charged with a public offense. I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me only those means consistent with truth and honor. I will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement.
- I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my client, and will accept no compensation in connection with the business of my client unless this compensation is from or with the knowledge and approval of the client or with the approval of the court.
- I will abstain from all offensive personalities, and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged.
- I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay unjustly the cause of any person.